Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Parent-Teacher Conferences

It is again, that time of year. Parent. Teacher. Conferences.

My son, for those that aren't aware, is an excellent student. He is in advanced math. He has participated in the Gifted and Talented program for years. He is self sufficient, self reliant, independent and self motivated for starters.

Last night was his Parent-Teacher Conferences. Another fabulous opportunity to be in the same place at the same time with his dad. An hour of feeling the Great Divide, which was ever so apparent when sitting at the same table, not acknowledging each other with T sitting in between us giving sideways glances and smiles to me in our non-verbal ways.

I have been completely unaware of the work that T has been doing in his G/T class. Well actually in all of his classes. I see what he brings home. I review what he shares. I have no communication with his teachers. Neither he nor I require it. He is an amazing kid and has done great projects without any assistance. He uses Power Point. He uses the web and makes web blogs. He has been more technologically advanced than myself for years now. And, I'm completely OK with that. Completely.

His dad and I waited to speak with several teachers. We reviewed his report card of all A's and wondered who we should speak to. Speak to all of them? Speak to none of them? His dad and I confirmed that we really didn't need to be there. But parental obligations, we were. In my mind, I just wanted to skip it all and get to dinner with RUR, but even I managed to smile and be pleasant with teachers that said only four words. What does a teacher say when a parent has no questions, there are no problems and this student is getting 99.53%?

Funny thing though, T's worst class....Gym. We laughed when he told us he was getting a 97%, having missed two questions on the soccer test, when he played soccer this fall! So when we met with the teacher we said that we were surprised to hear that gym was his worst class. The teacher, scrambling through his papers was shocked. He couldn't believe that T wasn't getting an A. Oh he IS, it's just his lowest A yet, with the next lowest being 99.09%.

Too funny! Gym of all classes!

No comments: