Monday, November 2, 2009

Mistaken Matt's

I have to acknowledge that I did a first. I have to say that it was bad, but not that bad. But by my standards, it was BAD.

I met a Matt about a month or two ago from the dating site. Nice guy. We met for lunch, which I am so not a fan of. For one, I have issues with eating and wearing my food and having food accumulate in my teeth...so I find meal dates awkward, to say the least. But he was a nice guy, a realtor and we occasionally im or chat on the phone, but nothing else. We talked about seeing each other for a second date but never did.

Along comes Matt #2. He has a great smile and is a driver. He and I had emailed but then just stopped. We picked up emails a month or so later and talked about meeting. He was going out of town and suggested meeting like...9 days later. Which honestly, on a dating site is like an eternity! We didn't actually meet. He's one I would like to meet, but he seems rather elusive and jaded in more than a few ways.

Matt #1 texted me on Friday night that he was bored. I was out with a good friend and texted back sorry to hear that.

Matt #2 and I instant messaged on Saturday. We discussed possibly meeting and I said that I would be in his area that night, Halloween hanging out with my girlfriend. I messaged whether or not he truly wanted to meet me or if it was just a matter of passing. He said he wanted to meet, but he doesn't seem interested in actually making plans. He told me to text him when we figured out our plans for later.

I headed up to JN's and we debated what we were going to do and she guilted me into getting some form of costume. So off to Meijer we went and I picked up the only costume left - "Wild Chic" which was a "tattooed" shirt and a plether vest, hat and fingerless gloves. Whatever. But before we left, I texted Matt (from my text list of who texted me the night before) and said I was in the area and asked where he was. I called him rather than doing the multiple texting and even asked who I was talking to - thinking he passed the phone to a friend. He didn't sound like the Matt I recognized, from our one or two discussions previously. I usually don't forget a voice or what someone tells me. Long story short, we agreed to meet up at a local bar.

JN and I were at the bar and ordering drinks when Matt showed up. I looked at him and thought, he looks a lot like Matt #1! I talked to him very briefly and instantly realized HE WAS MATT #1! When he went to the bar to order a drink, I told JN of my mistake and this was the realtor. She then subsequently said Oh so you work at XX, which was where Matt #2 works! Oops...needless to say, I don't think Matt #1 realized anything had happened. He thanked me for calling him to come on out. He hungout with us the rest of the night and we all had a good time!

I was definitely bummed at missing the opportunity to meet Matt #2, but maybe things happen for a reason. Karma as you will.

I messaged Matt #2 on Sunday and apologized for not being able to connect with him. He tried to give me grief about it, but the reality of the situation was, he didn't text or contact me either! Weekends work best for him to meet (and why yesterday wasn't an option - no idea - since I didn't bring it up) and November is hunting season so I typically have my son three out of four weekends, so told Matt #2 that with our schedules it's not likely we will meet. Too bad too, I would have liked to know how he was in person. At least get him out of my mind - afterall we are all single for a reason, right?

No comments: