Wednesday, November 25, 2009

EVLT Update

It's been Day 9 since my EVLT procedure. And today, as much as it was nine days ago, I stick firm on the decision that I will never voluntarily choose to have EVLT done again.

Last night was the first time that I was able to have a reprieve from the pain and discomfort. I even skipped a dosage of ibuprofen. I did take another 1000mg this morning since I knew that I would be up and around, in and out of the office for work. Besides the lingering throb and the muscle pull feeling, the latest nuisance is the chap stocking which is now too big that it is carving into the top of my thigh/groin area. Gotta love it!

I did call the doctor's office on Monday. It's amazing what people will tell you when you ask the right questions. Clearly the answer to most questions, "It depends on the person." Thanks. Thank you very much! The pain should subside around day 10 or so, if it continues, contact the doctor (but in my case - they are closed for Thanksgiving!). There will be a large bump which will dissipate with time. Elevate, elevate, elevate.

I learned about the elevation on my own, in a way. It may have been recommended within the first 24 hours. After about 7 days, I decided while sleeping to wedge a pillow between my thigh and knee. I found that I slept much better without the constant hard surface pain of the touch either against the bed or my other leg. I also learned from calling the doctor's office that you don't have to wear the compression stocking 24/7. If you find it beneficial, you may sleep in it, but this isn't necessary. Wearing the compression stocking is only necessary when up and around. Sigh, nice to know. So in addition to the pillow, not wearing the stocking at night has been a blessing. Although, timing may also add to the relief and the new found ability to almost walk normally after I wake.

The thought of hitting the gym or normal walking gait still isn't feasible. I'm hoping by next week this shouldn't be a problem. I still have a slight limp and if I try to walk at my normal pace, it's more than difficult as well as painful.

As far as the results of the EVLT? I haven't a clue. I no longer can see the pooling, but still have the main discoloration that was present before the procedure. I will likely also have a few small scars from the actual procedure, but I haven't ventured to check it out since mere touch of the upper thigh has put me in tears on more than several occasions. I have my two-week follow up on Monday. Then maybe I'll learn the real truth.

No comments: