Monday, November 30, 2009

EVLT Ending

I had my follow up appointment this morning. One thing I can say about the doctor's office...they are prompt. I was still at the window questioning why I had been charged a co-pay twice when I was called back for my appointment, early.

I managed to wear a very leg accessible outfit, so I just had to lift up the leg for another ultrasound. Before I mentioned anything about my pain and suffering, the doctor said that due to my "thin leg" and the "large vein" he did what he could, but it's often more painful when there isn't a large leg with an abundance of skin or fatty tissue.

Everything is healing well and he asked if I had any soreness. Soreness? Is that what that was called? I proceeded to tell him it was the most painful procedure I have had in a very long time (if EVER). I said I wouldn't be having the other leg done, nor would I recommend the procedure to anyone.

I think I offended him. He told me that he has completed between 4-5000 procedures and if they weren't successful there wouldn't be the demand for him to continue. True enough. I get that. Truly I do. But for appearance purposes, I clearly won't be signing up for another one.

IF my varicose veins were painful, that would be a completely different story. Because clearly, two weeks of pain and suffering would be minimal compared to a lifetime of pain and discomfort. So while I wouldn't recommend it for cosmetic purposes, there are clearly more dramatic and drastically painful procedures available.

Again, had I been fully aware of what I was getting myself into, I would have known what to expect. I could have planned ahead and have been prepared for pain and agony and the inability to do much other than pop massive amounts of pain pills. But I wasn't. Knowing what it was like, despite hearing that the first is the worst, I'm not getting in line anytime soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know if you will see this, but I had the lower calf of my left leg done 2 days ago. When I originally went in and they did the ultrasound they said I have 4 bad veins and wanted to do the laser on all of them. Well, when I went it it was SO MUCH MORE PAINFUL THAN I IMAGINED it would be! OMG! I think I have a high pain tolerance also.. the laser itself was not painful, BUT everything up to that point was aweful. After that one he said let's do the next leg and I said NO NOT TODAY! I have talked myself into not doing the others since they are not hurting and see how this leg heals and what it looks like after everything. I am scared of the sclero now for touch up. You are right one.. ANY question they ask they say: It dependds on the person. Everyone is different. Mine was the back of the leg, yours was the front .. knee to groin? That sounds even more painful so I am declining. LOL! What makes me mad is the Dr. looks at you like you are a wimp even though he told me some people have no pain others have tremendous pain.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I recently (9 days ago) had my 2nd leg done, too. The pain for me has been tolerable, BUT all those online sources saying there are no scars from EVLT or ambulatory phlebectomy? Not true! Please, anyone considering this procedure, check into that first and do not trust the doctor when he says "no scars" or "barely discernable scars". I was aghast when I took off the bandages and saw some 50 or so 3-4 mm incisions on my leg, and believe me, yes, they will leave scars. The doctor says they will "fade in time -- maybe a year into thin white lines" but even if that is true, my leg will be horribly disfigured for the coming 12 months, and then scarrred for the rest of my life. He only told me, "You are fair-skinned, so it is worse for you" -- but no one told me that PRIOR to the procedure. Definitely NEVER do this within six months of summer or you will be in pants and long skirts all summer long. Just be careful before choosing this procedure; I wasn't, and I regret it now. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I agree I regret it. My dr will now not do the sclero unless I chose to do the thigh area also. I won't do it an am now afraid I've screwed up my entire leg and caused more problems.