Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Computer Crash

Over the past month I managed to get "hijacked" on my desktop computer. I knew that I needed to get updated anti-virus software, since my Norton had expired more than a few years ago; however, it still ran and did checks and seemed to be OK. Somehow though, I managed to get viruses left and right, pop ups here and there and then frequent notices that my computer was under attack. If I actually played Mafia Wars on Facebook than maybe I would have understood the attack!

So one evening when my computer wouldn't do anything else because of the warnings, I did the unthinkable. I fell trap to purchase one of the anti-virus software. Which as you know, ended up to be spam. Somehow in the mix of things, I lost my control panel, my printer and who knows whatelse, although I still had my speed and could navigate my computer to certain things. An acquaintance recommended a free anti-virus software and that didn't help either. So, I resorted to my parents computer "guru" and next door neighbor.

He worked on my computer for hours through www.showmypc.com and couldn't figure it out. He couldn't add malwarebytes because of all the viruses. Long story short, when my son couldn't get to his homework and our trip to my office made me realize the office key was at home, I had had it. We packed up and went to mom's. We purchased a router before hand so SB could hook that up for us as well. We arrived at my mom's about midnight on Saturday.

I told SB that he could keep the desktop for a couple weeks, as long as we had my son's laptop back. He ended up having it all done by late that evening. And as a SURPRISE, I got a laptop as well - from SB and my parents for my birthday!

We got home shortly before midnight that Sunday and I hooked up the router and my desktop. Apparently SB saved all of my pictures and files but pretty much wiped the computer clean - so I had a brand new computer - of sorts. Needless to say, the desktop is slower than slow. I can't even use it, it is that painfully slow. SB got back on the computer through www.showmypc.com and couldn't figure out why. He blamed me for "frying it" by adding yahoo messenger - although he didn't tell this to me, he told my mom! Which I say is BS.

So now it's been two weeks and I still can't use my desktop. My printer isn't hooked up either. Last night I attempted to reload AT&T High Speed Internet and it says that it isn't hooked up to the modem. Well no, it's hooked up to the router. So my dilemma is whether or not the desktop would still connect to the internet if hooked up incorrectly or not. Because, both of our laptops work great! Anyone have any advice?

No comments: